The Franciscan monastery which included the house and the adjacent Abbey of Mercy entered then the whole of the old School of Mercy. In particular, the buildings of which now Casabaseggio is part, from the convent became a sort of hospice of the School of Mercy, until the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, when by order of Napoleon all the Venetian schools were abolished. The house, as a result of this event and to this day, has become a private residence.
The Old School of Mercy is a building very large site along the foundation of the Abbey of Mercy. Erected in 1310 was later extended several times, to include the adjacent Franciscan monastery. The present facade dates from the fifteenth century. Nearby is the new School of Mercy, whose construction by Sansovino began in mid-sixteenth century. The so-called Venetian schools were built by trade guilds, composed of brothers. The locations of these charities or religious, with charitable purposes but at the same time corporate, were to represent the strength and richness of the brotherhoods and they were (and still are) rich in works of art. In the city are active even today the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in whose headquarters hosts the famous cycle of paintings by Tintoretto and the Great Schools of San Teodoro and John the Evangelist School. Other schools have become places of museums or cultural institutions. The name of the Cannaregio district, where the Casa Baseggio is located, is probably derived from a corruption of the ancient Cannarecium that place where reeds grew in large quantities. This hypothesis is confirmed by a document from 1410 that reads: "Cannaregio imperciochè era chanedo et paludo con chanelle" and also with an old record when it is said that one of the oldest families in Venice, the Malipiero, settled in this area and used canes to build boats, in fact with the fire produced by burning reeds melted pitch which was used to waterproof boats.